Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bemidi and Park Point

This week We made a trip to Bemidji. Let me tell you, it was pretty pointless. I know a lot of my posts have said that, but this one takes the cake. Our entire APE (Area of Potential Effect) had been destroyed by past activities.

Tuesday we left for our magnificent job. We met an engineer who is working on the project, and he showed us where they are planning on putting the new bike trail. Turns out most of it is running through a park, along a road/sidewalk, and through the college campus. So we start in the park on the south end of the APE and low and behold the whole area is disturbed. We had evidence in EVERY shovel test... Our evidence can be modern garbage deep in the hole, or mixed sediment colors or types. In other words if we find a distinct division between the top and bottom layer there is a pretty good chance the area has not been disturbed.

Wednesday we shovel tested all day. Again, it was all disturbed. Well, not ALL. We did shovel test along the lake behind an ice berm and on a flood plain. So we had VERY shallow shovel tests. I mean I had one where I wasn't 20cm deep and my hole filled with water! That was crazy!!

Thursday was a wasted day where we just drove back to Duluth. And I sat in the office and played games on the internet.

Friday we went out to Park Point. I thought it was going to be cool, and we were going to find a bunch of stuff. It turns out we didn't find anything prehistoric. However we did find a possible historic dump. It had a lot of early 20th century garbage, including crockery, milk bottles, a cast iron lamp stand, an old wagon, and medicine bottles.

Tuesday it is off to the polls, then down to Camp Ripley. No clue on what we are going ot do down there, other than "collect a paycheck". That is what Steve told me...

1 comment:

JBear said...

I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, you're not being all that you can be.